The City of Yarra has a range of open spaces suitable for events from intimate gatherings to public festivals.
These spaces are in high demand and, as such, Yarra seeks to strike a balance between enabling events and our residents’ right to the quiet enjoyment of public spaces.
Events that occur in Council-owned or managed parks, open spaces and roadways may require an Event in Public Spaces Permit. You will need a permit if your event involves:
- 50 attendees or more
- ticketing for the participants
- amplified sound
- catering by an external supplier
- a wedding ceremony
- a reservation of a specific location
- temporary structures larger than 3x3m.
If your event does not involve any of the elements above, and are happy to choose a location when you arrive at the park, please go ahead and enjoy yourself- a booking or permit are not required. If you are worried that another large event may already have a booking at the park, you can contact us to check this.
Whether your event is large or small, some factors to consider when planning an event in one of Yarra’s open spaces include:
- the removal of any waste generated by the event
- vehicle access into the open space, if required
- the erection of temporary structures such as marquees and how they will be weighed down (pegging or staking is not permitted)
- ground markings
- music and amplified sound and
- filming, such as feature films or wedding photography.
The Conditions of Hire for the venue and the Event in Public Spaces Permit (if required) comprehensively outline the responsibilities of event organisers.
Browse Yarra’s open spaces or contact a Venues Officer on 03 9205 5577 for more information.