Council and other permits

Events held in Yarra’s open spaces may require an Event in Public Spaces Permit (EIPS Permit) as well as other separate permits depending on the elements of the event.

Common event elements that trigger permit requirements are listed below. Other permits that may be required include a Temporary Public Space License, Place of Public Entertainment Permit, Filming Permit, and Temporary signage board approval.

Our Event Permit Officers will help you identify the permits and permissions you require for your event and guide you through the process of application. They will also inform you of any fees or charges that apply.

For more information and assistance please email or phone us on 03 9205 5205.

Food at events

In order to sell food to the public, each individual food vendor - whether a stall, marquee or van - will need to apply for a Mobile Food Vendor Permit.

Vendors must complete the Application for Temporary Mobile Food Vendor and the Statement of Trade through Streatrader.

The preparation and sale of food will trigger other requirements and considerations such as food safety programs, gas safety and electrical safety. Where an event extends onto a road a Temporary Road Occupation Permit may also be required.

A Temporary Public Space Permit may be required for operators who sell goods, conduct promotional activity or conduct fundraising such as fundraising BBQs on Council land.

Approval time: between two to five weeks depending on the size and nature of the event.

Temporary Road Occupation

A Temporary Road/Footpath Occupation Permit is required from Council to temporarily close any part of a road, car park or footpath which is managed by Council.

This permit would be needed for events such as street parties, fun runs or any activities associated with your event that may occur on the footpath such as filming or a temporary art installation.

Occupying a road will trigger other requirements such as a Traffic Management Plan, Business and Resident approval, Resident Notification and, where the event is held on an arterial road, a VicRoads Memorandum of Authorisation.

Approval time: Up to 12 weeks. New events will require a longer lead time while repeat events will take less time.

Alcohol at events

You are legally allowed to consume alcohol within the City of Yarra’s parks between the hours of 9am-9pm. This applies to BYO alcohol.

If you intend to sell alcohol at your event, or if your event is ticketed, you may require a Temporary Limited Liquor Licence which is issued by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) and approved by the City of Yarra.

Liquor licence applications should be lodged at least eight weeks before your event. The time taken to process an application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application and any objections raised.

Information about the application fees associated with temporary limited licences, useful fact sheets and application forms can be found on the VCGLR website here.

A Mobile Food Vendor Permit may be required from Council including the attending requirements of submitting a Statement of Trade and evidence of insurance coverage.

Including alcohol at your event presents potential risks that need to be responsibly managed. How alcohol is served and behaviour managed should be carefully considered and outlined in your Event Assessment and Control documents. Refer to the Safety section of this toolkit for more information and templates.

Approval time: up to eight weeks

Music and amplified sound

If you are planning to have music or amplified sound at your event, you will need either a Minor or Major Amplified Sound Permit in addition to your EIPS Permit. You must submit a separate application form to assess what type of permit is suitable.

An Amplified Sound Permit will trigger other requirements such as distributing a notification to local residents and businesses. Our Event Permit Officers will advise you of all the requirements.

Approval time: up to five weeks

Musical performance or broadcast

Entertainers at an event who are not performing their own original compositions will need a permit from the Australian Performing Rights Association (APRA).

If an event uses copyright protected pre-recorded music or music videos, a permit from Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) will be required.

Approval time: between three to six weeks


There are various types of pyrotechnics including display fireworks, Chinese firecrackers and theatrical fireworks.

Fireworks can only be discharged outdoors by a licensed pyrotechnician. As an event organiser you must ensure that your pyrotechnician has a valid pyrotechnical licence, holds the necessary liability insurance cover and has submitted a Notification of Intention to Discharge Fireworks to WorkSafe. You are also required to request approval from the City of Yarra and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.

Requests for approval must be lodged with the City of Yarra at least two weeks prior to your event and are assessed on a case-by-case basis. To begin the assessment process, you will need to provide:

  • a copy of your Worksafe Approval
  • your pyrotechnician's details including Certificate of Currency for Public Liability
  • evidence of consent from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (as your event is being held in public space) and
  • a draft letter of notification which, if approval is provided, will need to be distributed to local residents seven days prior to the event. The letter of notification must include the details of the fireworks/crackers at your event including the times and locations of discharge.

Approval for fireworks may be subject to other conditions depending on the scale and scope of your event. A traffic management plan may also be requested if footpath closures are required.

An Events Permit Officer will help facilitate this as part of the overarching Events in Public Space Permit.

An important consideration when planning for fireworks is having the necessary training, staff and infrastructure to keep spectators safe. The Safety and Security and Crowd Control pages in this toolkit provide more information.

Licence application forms, conditions and a directory of licensed pyrotechnicians are available at WorkSafe Victoria.

Approval time: at least seven days' notice to WorkSafe; a minimum of two weeks for the City of Yarra.