Updated 21 December 2021
We are currently taking bookings for all events, weddings and gatherings at full capacity for each outdoor space in line with the State Government's Public Health Advice.
Please note: All bookings are reviewed by a Council officer before a permit is issued.
Event in Public Spaces Permit
Do I need an Event in Public Spaces (EIPS) Permit?
The EIPS permit is needed for activities and events that occur in Council owned or managed parks, open spaces and roadways.
All events covered by the Events in Public Spaces Policy require an Event in Public Spaces Permit to operate.
You need a EIPS permit if your event involves:
- 50 attendees or more.
- Ticketing for the participants
- Amplified sound
- Catering by an external supplier.
- A wedding ceremony
- A reservation of a specific location.
- You plan to erect large structures (small 3x3 marquees are permitted without a permit: must be weighted down and secured safely. Spikes or pegs are strictly prohibited.)
- Vehicle access to drop off equipment.
The types of events that require an EIPS Permit include:
- Health, fitness and sports (but not seasonal sports booked on sports grounds)
- Arts and cultural events
- Weddings and celebrations
- Street parties
- Balloon landings
- Other social events
There is a different process for Major Events - please visit the Major Events page to find out more.
Need more information?
Depending on the nature and scale of the event, other approvals, permits and licenses may be required.
We can help identify if other approvals are needed but it's up to the applicant to arrange any additional permits for the event.
When can I apply?
You can apply an EIPS Permit at any time.
The application will take between two weeks to six months to process, depending on the nature of the event.
How much does it cost?
The fees and charges associated with the EIPS permit include:
- A one-off application fee
- A one-off EIPS permit fee (varies according to the size and risk profile of the event).
- Fees for other approvals required from Council (depends on the activities the event involves).
Discounted fees may apply for registered not-for-profit organisations
How do I apply for an Event in Public Spaces Permit?
We encourage you to read the above information and then contact us to discuss your event. You may be offered suggestions to strengthen your application.
When you're ready to apply, follow these four easy steps.
Step 1: Log in or register with our booking system.
If you’re a registered user and have booked a venue with us before, you can log on to make a new booking.
If you’re a first-time user, please register with us and then make your booking.
Step 2: Submit application
- Once you have registered for the first time you will then be able to make a booking by selecting the booking category, type, date and number of attendees.
- After you have selected your venue, you will be asked a series of application questions and given a quote based on the answers.
- Please answer these questions with as much detail as possible.
- You will then submit your application to be assessed.
- Please note: This does not confirm your booking.
Step 3: Application assessed
- Your application will be assessed by the Events team
- Depending on the size, nature and complexity of your event, you will either be offered a permit or, assuming we have enough information, offered in-principle approval to hold your event.
- In some cases more information will be needed and in-principle approval will be delayed until this is attained.
- In most cases more detailed information will be needed to satisfy all the permit requirements.
- External permits and approvals will need to be sighted, as will documentation such as public liability insurance.
Step 4: Permit issued
- Once you’ve provided all the necessary information and documentation, we will offer you an Event in Public Places Permit conditional upon the payment of the invoice.
- You can log in and view, edit or cancel your booking at any time.
- A booking officer may cancel your booking at any time if required forms and payment are not received by set deadlines.
Contact a member of our friendly Events Team if you would like any further information in regards to obtaining an Event Permit:
03 9205 5205 or email us at email@example.com