Image courtesy of Velodrome Events.
Our Event Permits team manages more than 600 events annually including:
- Johnston St Fiesta
- Victoria St Lunar Festival
- Small local celebrations on residential streets and
- Park-based events like fun runs, concerts and circuses.
Major Events Expression of Interest (EOI) process
The Expression of Interest process is particularly focused on the following types of events:
- Events requiring closures of major roads
- Long stay or recurring events (markets and circuses)
- Events attracting over 1,000 participants
- Events incorporating road closures of Yarra Boulevard
- Other types of events are also welcomed
How do I apply?
If you are interested in holding a Major Event, please follow these steps.
All events must take place under the current State Government Public Events Framework which outlines the parameters in which events can take place by placing events into different tiers based on their size and risk factors. While also defining the processes required for these events to take place.
The Current Framework’s tiers and requirements are as follows (as of May 26th, 2021):
Tier 1 > 7,500 attendees
Tier 2 - 1,001 to 7,500 attendees
Tier 3 < 1,000 attendees
For non-seated events there is a density quotient is one person to two square metres.
With the density quotient being calculated on the area that is publicly accessible to attendees i.e. not the entire area of the venue/setting, only the area that attendees can access.
Note: Zoning is required for all Tier 1 events which exceed 7,500 attendees.
Record keeping is Mandatory for ALL public events.
Step 1 - Apply
Email us with a preliminary proposal that includes:
- Description of the proposed activity and site
- Frequency (is it a one of event or will you need to use the site multiple times)
- Statement about your experience in running large events.
Step 2 - Assessment
The preliminary proposals are assessed by a panel.
The applicants that best meet the criteria will be issued an in-principle agreement.
Step 3 - Decision
We'll invite successful applicants to submit a detailed proposal for consideration.
We'll contact you and let you know what is required for the detailed application.
Expressions of Interest Dates
Round One 2021 MAJOR EVENT EOIs for events between August 2021 – April 2022 are now CLOSED.
Round Two 2021 MAJOR EVENT EOIs will open Wednesday 1 September 2021 for events between January 2022 and October 2022.
- Please check this section of the website, or sign up to our mailing list for updates.
- For further information on the EOI process please read the EOI Guidelines. (PDF, 3mb)
For any queries please contact us on 9205 5205 or firstname.lastname@example.org