Respecting our parks this New Year’s Eve
Monday 12 December 2022
Yarra City Council is encouraging safe and family-friendly celebrations if you are planning on heading to one of our parks this New Year’s Eve.
Our parks and gardens are part of what makes Yarra so special. We want them to be places that everyone can enjoy.
What you can do
If you’re planning on visiting one of our parks you can help us out by:
- using the public toilets provided, not the laneways
- taking your rubbish with you if the bins are full
- avoiding glass and taking any recyclables home with you
- following COVID-19 recommendations
- respecting the neighbours and keep the noise down
- don’t peg down marquees - use weights only
- amplified music is not permitted
- cleaning up after your dog and keep them on a leash unless you’re in a designated off-leash area.
Drinking in our parks
Please note that alcohol is not permitted in any Yarra parks from 9pm 30 December until 9am 1 January. Head to one of the many licensed venues in Yarra for a drink instead.
Public behaviour issues
If you want to report a public behaviour issue (public urination, COVID-19 non-compliance, crime) you have the following options:
Emergency - Triple Zero (000)
Police, ambulance and fire.
Police Assistance Line -131 444
Call any time to report non-urgent crimes and events.
Crime Stoppers - 1800 333 000
Call to anonymously report a crime.
Family-friendly New Year's Eve
Yarra City Council is hosting a family friendly event in Edinburgh Gardens, Fitzroy North this year to ring in 2023.
There will be something for everyone, with activities including a pop-up cinema, food trucks, live music and a comedy show.
- Saturday 31 December 2022.
- 2pm until midnight.
The fun begins with a skateboard demonstration by Shredability from 2pm to 5pm.
As we count down the year, enjoy the live music on stage from Melbourne funk pop artist, Leilani Le Fleur at 3.30pm.
Followed by a performance by one of Australia’s biggest comic musical acts, Tripod at 6pm.
Photo by Nicole Cleary.
Bring the popcorn! We have two films being screened from 7.30pm at our pop-up cinema
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople (PG) for the kids and young at heart
- Top End Wedding (M)
The evening wraps up with a countdown to midnight.
The best way to get there is via public transport. Visit PTV for up-to-date details on services.