Sportsman's War Memorial Interpretive Works Completed
Monday 06 August 2018
The Sportsman's War Memorial was erected in memory of members of the local sporting clubs who died in the First World War.
The Memorial was unveiled on 9 December 1919, having been funded through public subscription amongst members of the various sporting clubs.
Yarra City Council has previously undertaken some restoration works including cleaning, reproduction of the urns and landscaping. To further highlight the position and significance of the Memorial, some interpretive and enhancement works have now been completed.
The original porcelain wreath once displayed on a column (which now hangs safely at Fitzroy Town Hall) has been replicated by The Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation. This has been placed on display housed within a new bronze panel inscribed with the names of the fallen soldiers from the local sporting clubs. The soldiers were once listed on six shields installed on the columns of the monument but the majority were lost over time. Additionally, some signage and a large reproductive photograph showing some of the soldiers has been erected to provide further historical context for visitors to the Edinburgh Gardens.
The Fitzroy History Society has been an integral part of this project as have the Combined Tramways/ East Melbourne RSL. The sporting clubs have also provided input into the consultation and development of this project and the Fitzroy Football Club continues to lay wreaths here for their former members on Remembrance and ANZAC Day.
The memorial is located on the St Georges Road side of Edinburgh Gardens, behind the Fitzroy Victoria Sporting & Bowls Club.