Fitzroy Town Hall
Fitzroy Town Hall's Classical Victorian design dating back to 1873 is a statement of the aspirations and burgeoning wealth Melbourne was experiencing during the gold rush era.
The Fitzroy Town Hall was rejuvenated to its former glory in 2007. Heritage areas were sympathetically restored, while modern improvements were added including a lift, commercial kitchen, and heating and cooling.
It was constructed in two separate stages. The first consisted of a hall and tower which was designed by William J. Ellis and built in 1873. Between 1887 and 1890 a new stage designed by George Johnson was added to this comprising municipal offices, a police station and a courthouse as well as extensions to the hall. The clock tower added at this time replaced the original tower.
The building is an example of the Free Classical style of Victorian architecture and is recorded as a "Heritage place" by Heritage Victoria.
After the amalgamation of the City of Fitzroy with the Cities of Collingwood and Richmond in 1994 forming the City of Yarra, the Town Hall now functions as secondary offices, service centre and library servicing the Collingwood area for the City of Yarra. The Town Hall is also used for special functions and as an exhibition space.
Fitzroy Town Hall is a fully accessible venue.
Accessible lift entry to the building and accessible parking is located at the rear of the building in the courtyard, off Moor St.
There are accessible toilets located next to the Ballroom on Level 2.
We have an integrated Hearing Loop for public address. We can provide portable Tele-Coil or headphones as needed.